It has never lost it, despite all the hard times through the history.
(All photos are taken from this beautiful blog, The Old Postcards of Bosnia, which I have been enjoying many times so far)
'Sarajevo, 1941. Photo of women and children in street together: A Muslim veiled woman, Zejneba Hardaga (right) and Jewish woman, Rivka Kalb (2nd from right) and her children are guided on the streets of Sarajevo in 1941. Zejneba covered the yellow star on the Rivka's left arm with her veil. Bahrija Hardasa, sister-in-law of Zejneba, is on the far left. (Courtesy of Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies, University of Minnesota)'
Traditional yeast flat bread, somun
Baščaršija, Sarajevo's bazaar, market place
Today's Ulica branilaca Sarajeva, The Defenders of Sarajevo Street
Street scene at Baščaršija
Baščaršija with Sebil, wooden fountain in the center built by Mehmed-pasha Kukavica in 1753. It was relocated by Czech architect Alexander Vitek in 1891. It is also frequently called “the pigeon square”
The old Jewish Cemetery. It is one of the most famed Sephardic burial grounds in the world. Founded in 1630, when Rabbi Samuel Baruch rented the land, it is the oldest intact burial ground of any religious group in Sarajevo and is known for its age and beauty. It has been restored recently
Hotel Europe was the first modern hotel, established in year 1882 on crossroads of Oriental and European Sarajevo, being the classiest place in Sarajevo. It was designed by Karlo Paržik, Czech architect who came in Sarajevo with 26 years of age and where he worked nearly for 60 years. He designed some of the most beautiful buildings in Sarajevo
A woman's boutique
Markale City Market (German Markthalle). It was projected in 1894, under name 'Markthalle fur Sarajevo', and built one year later. The designer was August Butsch, who built it in Neo-Reneissance style.
The old Sephardi Synagogue, today's Bosnian Cultural Center
Hotel Europe interior
Today's The Building of Presidency
Kafana, coffee shop interior
Marijin Dvor or Marindvor, settlement in the center of Sarajevo, named by Mary's house. Mary was wife of industrialist August Braun, who came together with the arrival of the Austro-Hungarian government
Sarajevo was the first city in Europe to have a full-time (from dawn to dusk) operational electric tram line in 1885, introduced shortly after the city became part of the Austro-Hungarian empire
At Baščaršija. Kantardžija, a man who weighs the goods
Selling handicrafts. Bosnian muslim woman wore a long shawl called zar
The Orthodox Church in Sarajevo, built in 1872
Emperor’s Mosque. Built in 1462, waqf of Sarajevo founder and first mosque in Sarajevo
The Cathedral of Jesus' Heart is is the largest cathedral in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Architect Josip Vancaš modeled it after the Notre-Dame de Paris using the neo-Gothic style and elements of Romanesque architecture. Work began on August 25, 1884, and was completed in the same month in 1889
Today's Sarajevo Music Academy. It was designed by Josip Vancaš and built in 1893. Originally it was Institute St. Augustine